Ask for help

So what's so special about the whole orientation thing? You get to know who are the boss in this and that department, you get to know what are their expectations. You get to know a variety of other things which, my jetlagged, tired, homesick and somehow ambivalent brain is refusing to absorb fully. But somehow, this struck me:







Ask for help.

I was initially touched to learn that the first thing that almost everyone had been saying is that, I need to take good care of myself and, I need to ask for help if I think that I cannot manage or feel overwhelmed doing it. For me, that was quite a different story. I was always used into asking for help from other people and then, I get to hear how incompetent or how I was not able to manage my tasks alone- there's an accompanying judgement on that folks. So, I got into this point when I try to do everything alone not because I wanted to be  a hero or martyr but simply because I fear the repercussion of asking for "help."

I just want to mention that asking questions are a bit  parallel to that story. I came into a country where everyone is either too shy to ask questions because they fear that asking question is synonymous to implying that you did not understand your teacher or asking simply to show off. Either way, living abroad taught me these: when you feel in doubt, ask. When you feel confident, ask. When you feel that you're about to do something stupid or crazy, ask. Yes. I did reap the repercussions of asking questions especially with some people. But at least, I did not go over the deep end like, inflicting harm or injury to anyone especially in my clinical practice.

Looking back now, I think that I will never ever be who I am if I did not heed the advise of asking for help, I don't know what would have happened to me then. Well, most of the help that I sought was that in my academic writing. Yes. As of last March, I was writing constantly in my cryptocurrency based blog but, I still feel incompetent writing my essays because, the tone alone is different. Everything is different actually and, though I can almost get away with anything in my regular blog, I do need to play by the rules and playing by the rules meant: I have to make sure that what I am blabbering about is relevant to what they are asking in the tasks.

Another help that I got- which I was very grateful of is counseling. Well, I am not gonna elaborate on it for now...…………….. but, at that time,  I was having such a difficult time, it helps so much so have someone who is impartial, who can talk sense to me and see my situation in a different light. 

All in all, learning to properly "ask" for help and that it is all right to do so comforted me.  I feel that finally, I can start learning without the stigma attached to- asking for help!



Comments